Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Flaming Dragons

Another season of youth soccer is upon us. Gavin's decided to take up piano this season, but Aidan is happy to have moved up to Harrisburg Parks and Recreation's 5/6 age bracket, the first in which the kids get to play actual soccer games.

The two guys I coached with last season on Gavin's team — Darryl Strack and Bobbie Middleton — have moved up with their kids to the 7/8 age bracket and are coaching together again. I ran into them last weekend, where I learned that their team had chosen the name "Flaming Dragons". I had a lot of fun with these guys last Fall with our Soccer Monsters team, including designing a team logo which we had made up into stickers and iron-on patches. So when Bobbie asked me last Saturday if I'd be willing to do the same for their new Flaming Dragons team, how could I pass that up? When eating lunch later day, I scratched out a rough idea in crayon (on the table top at Supper Restaurant) for the logo:

Then, I spent a few evening hours this week converting that simple drawing into a real vector artwork file:

Meanwhile, Aidan's team has chosen the name "Hot Lava". Not … really … sure what to do about that one just yet.

3 comments:

  1. These have been really good, and I imagine a fun way to be creative without huge time commitment or outside expectations. As for "lava" I immediately think lava creatures rising from a huge pool of the hot liquid stuff. Has the HP&R considered selling the patches to raise funds for equipment or the like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: I've not heard anything from the Powers That Be(tm) at HP&R. But the thought *did* cross my mind that if the league would settle on some team names and colors that were consistent across seasons, they could commission the creation of logos for every team, order swag at bulk rates, and sell patches, stickers, etc. as fundraiser items. Maybe something the new Booster program will consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: Thought I'd let you know that I did actually present your idea to the HP&R folks, along with a proposal that they pick a set of approved team mascots/logos so they can better capitalize on the cost of generating branding wares by being able to use them across seasons.

    ReplyDelete