Friday, January 11, 2008

Q4H: Didn't Esau's mama tell him there'd be girls like that?

The Bible is so full of interesting little nuggets. Today's reading took me through Genesis 26:34-35, where we see only the very tip of what is surely a fascinating story.

When Esau was forty years old, he married Judith daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and also Basemath daughter of Elon the Hittite. They were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah.

A "source a grief" to the in-laws? Sounds like the beginnings of a television sitcom! This seems to be Judith's only appearance in the Bible; Basemath gets named elsewhere only in genealogy listings. Wouldn't you just love to know the rest of that story? I sure would. Why didn't Esau do the arranged marriage thing? It seemed to work out pretty well for his dad.

I don't know why I'm interested in this. Maybe it's because the situation is so foreign to me: my parents adore my wife, perhaps more so even than they adore me!

No comments:

Post a Comment